Contact Information

Lexi Baldisseri | alexis.baldisseri@gmail.com | 408.439.4267

Friday, February 3, 2012

Sinatra Night and San Jose's "Page 6"

Each year, a good friend of mine throw's his annual "Sinatra Night" at the gorgeous De Anza Hotel in San Jose, CA. It's a good excuse to dress up in your finest digs and remember what it was like when men wore suits to impress the ladies (instead that sweaty Giants hat worn backwards), and girls wore their favorite heels (instead of their stank Ugg Boots) to woo the gentlemen.

Against my own fashion rules, I re-wore a dress I purchased for an old work party--but it just shouted Sinatra night (and let's be real: a re-wear falls nicely in my budget these days).

Low and behold, this girl makes it in The Metro back page. Now, I know what you're thinking. It ain't Page 6. I get that. Second thought: that's a lovely cocktail in your hand (nice nod at my lush status). But really, this was my crowning moment as an official socialite of Silicon Valley...in my own head.

Now, for the point of this blog. THE HAIR.

Kung fu grip on my Cosmo.

For the first time, I did what I never thought I'd do: watch YouTube how-to hair videos for Marilyn Monroe styles. I found this video since she has about the same length hair I do and altered it a bit, since I didn't have the time to set pin curls -- a girls' gotta work hard and play hard, right?

I went in with a 1/2 inch curling iron to set it, pinned it in place while I took a whore bath (you read that correctly), and applied my make up.

I used a baby brush (you can buy them at Longs, no joke) instead of a comb like she used. A comb would have been suicide to my thick, normally curly hair. I pinned back my hair on my better side, taught with some bobbies, locking them in place with my favorite "x" bobby pin pattern. I added some Fredrick Fekkai Advanced Brilliant Cream to whip it all together and shape.

I shellacked it in place with good hair spray. I warn you against cheap hairspray--can't save the planet on this one. You have to absolutely go for a great aerosol spray for light, solid hold.

I hope you explore videos to teach yourself a new style. I challenge you to try at least one new style a week!


No comments:

Post a Comment